Aiming to expand San Diego’s tourism economy, the San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA) is working with long time agency MeringCarson and is l...
Aiming to expand San Diego’s tourism economy, the San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA) is working with long time agency MeringCarson and is launching a revitalized advertising campaign that will air in multiple cities across the U.S. and around the world.
The new, multi-platform “Something to Smile About” campaign builds on the success of past campaigns, including “Happiness is Calling” and “Summer Feeling,” and features three new television commercials: one highlighting San Diego’s general vibe, a family-focused spot and one dedicated to the Mexico market.
The spots can be seen here:
“Our new campaign showcases what San Diego does best – putting smiles on the faces of visitors,” said President and CEO of the San Diego Tourism Authority, Joe Terzi. “It celebrates San Diego’s distinct sunny outlook, which is universally liked by consumers and most importantly, drives visitors to our city, generating tax revenue and creating jobs for San Diegans.”
The “Something to Smile About” campaign will be integrated across the SDTA’s program of work in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Mexico, and will reach potential visitors on a variety of platforms ranging from television to digital advertising to large-scale outdoor advertisements.
MeringCarson Chief Executive Officer Dave Mering commented, "The San Diego brand is all about lightheartedness and joy, and the smiley face is one of the most simple and powerful expressions of those feelings. It’s the original emoji.
DOMESTIC PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
More than $19 million in media will run in the U.S. during the January – June 2019 timeframe, when potential visitors are often making travel plans for the year ahead.
- Television spots will run in San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, Chicago, Dallas, New York, Boston and Minneapolis as well as nationally on ABC CBS, TBS, TNT and NBA TV.
- The spots will also run nationally via digital video on ABC, CBS, NBC Sports, Hulu, Amobee, YouTube and Facebook.
- Digital advertising is running on TripAdvisor, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and via Google Display Network, Sojern, Adara and Quantcast.
INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
- CANADA – The “Something to Smile About” ads will be integrated into SDTA’s advertising campaign in Canada.
- UNITED KINGDOM – Out of home activations, display advertising, digital video, display advertising, social media and search engine marketing will comprise the program of work in the U.K.
- MEXICO – Advertising is focused on digital video and social media channels including YouTube, Facebook TripAdvisor and DV360.
About the San Diego Tourism Authority (SDTA)
The San Diego Tourism Authority's mission is to drive visitor demand to economically benefit the San Diego region. The SDTA is a private, non-profit, mutual benefit corporation comprising approximately 1,000 member organizations, businesses, local governments, and individuals seeking a better community through the visitor industry. Tourism is the second largest segment of San Diego's economy and employs approximately 194,000 people across more than 12,000 businesses.
We Move People. Founded in 1985, MeringCarson is an advertising agency focused on brands, companies and organizations who are in the business of experiences – destinations, entertainment, and social movements. With offices in Northern and Southern California, MeringCarson serves a roster of clients that include: Visit California, CA Community Colleges, KSL Resorts/Monarch Beach, Mammoth Lakes Tourism, Merlin Entertainments (LEGOLAND), Pebble Beach Company, San Diego Tourism Authority, The Islands of Tahiti, and Visit Napa Valley. For more information, visit MeringCarson.com.